Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Princess Bride Introductions

WARNING WARNING TO ALL YOU NON-NERDS OUT THERE, THE FOLLOWING POST WILL BE ABOUT BOOKS. BEWARE FOR SENTIMENTAL BLABBERING ABOUT BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY READING.

Danny, my sister, came home from Stadsbiblioteket ( the most wonderful library in the world. No. But in Stockholm) with The Princess Bride, and as I always do when she borrows books, I took it and started reading. I've (unfortunately) watched the movie, but (fortunately) I hardly remember anything from it, and didn't have a clue of what it was about.

Because it was the 30th edition, there were these exceptionally long introductions written by William Goldman. While reading them, I got completely stuck in the story that Goldman was telling about himself, and was shocked when I realized that what I was reading was only the introduction ^^D Anyway, in the end of the intros, I had pretty much got the picture of what The Princess Bride was; It wasn't a novel written by William Goldman, it was by this dead guy (I'm sorry that sounded so morbid and unrespectful, but hey, that was all I thought of it at the moment) S. Morgenstern who had written it. (It was then I actually saw that the title read; THE PRINCESS BRIDE - Morgenstern's classic tale of True Love and High Adventure "Good parts". Abridged by William Goldman) So apparently, William Goldman had only cut out all the boring details of royalty schooling and different princesses packing hats. Hmmphf.

Anyway I'm really excited about reading the actual story of The Princess Bride tonight (Nocturnal, remember?) since I enjoyed the intro about what Goldman thinks of it and the story of his obsession of the book. I just hope it lives up to my expectations :]

No comments:

Post a Comment